There are too many characters in Fear The Walking Dead and too few characters we actually care about still. This is just one of the many problems that still plague this show along with stupid walkie-talkies and a seemingly endless supply of bullets.
In just about every episode this season, I can see a better episode just itching to get out. Many improvements have been made in Season 6, but so many little things hold it back.
For instance, the twist with Daniel actually losing his memory after pretending to for so long is pretty interesting. But the structure of the episode—Daniel “narrating” everything for the first two thirds—is grating. And the twist that he’s actually telling his story to June is just kind of lame. Why is he telling her what happened? Surely Morgan would have done that already. Wouldn’t he talk with her about how it makes him feel rather than just summarize events?
And why June? She’s not a therapist or a psychologist—she’s a nurse! Nurses are awesome, don’t get me wrong, but being a nurse doesn’t make you qualified to do half the things June does. And having her come back so soon after making her badass exit just cheapens that moment for no reason.
Also, Morgan Town is so ridiculous. Why are they building a town beneath a dam? Why don’t they all move to Lawton now that it’s under Strand’s control? There are real houses and creature comforts there and it’s not, you know, beneath a dam. I don’t get it.
I do think some of the scenes with Daniel and Strand were pretty good. Daniel almost shooting him in the face then discovering later that he was responsible for moving the guns. Then Strand essentially letting bygones be bygones by inviting him back to Lawton. I like this type of character drama, even though it really seems like Daniel has lost his edge and Strand is perhaps too edgy.
Ultimately, “Handle With Care” is just a mediocre episode. It’s not bad. It’s not glaringly stupid or rife with plot holes. It’s just kind of boring and the voice-over is irritating and by the end we really don’t know anything new about the mysterious villains (yay another crappy group of bad guys!) and we don’t even get one minute of Alicia. Poor Alicia, she should be the star of the show by now and yet . . . she’s barely on screen.
Sherry continues to be awful and at this point I’m more annoyed by her than by the gimmick of bringing her back to the show. Maybe a zombie will get her. Not that zombies really ever kill anybody anymore. Can you even remember the last time a main character was killed by a zombie on Fear The Walking Dead? Has it ever happened? Characters have, sure, but a main character?
- Don’t try to kill a zombie with an empty paint can or a saw. Sawing through somebody’s skull, even a zombie’s skull, is a bad idea. Paint cans are just too damn light. Grab a damn rock or something.
- Is it just me or is it kind of weird that both Charlie and Dakota are living with everyone like nothing’s happened when Charlie killed Nick and Dakota killed John Dorie? I guess I can see it with Charlie since she was so young and has basically redeemed herself, but why are they allowing Dakota to stay with them? She killed their friend in cold blood without batting an eye. Kick her to the curb.
- Is June just living alone? I guess they’re still communicating via walkie-talkies so she can’t have gone far.
- Why would anyone, even a man suffering from dementia, send someone as pregnant as Grace anywhere? And maybe Grace should be with June who handles the medical stuff and could probably help with the baby when it comes any second now. None of this makes sense.
- Maybe not “dementia” though because June says it’s psychological not something actually wrong with his brain. How she is qualified to determine this is beyond me. She’s basically Claire from Outlander I guess.
- Also how is it that all these zombie apocalypse survivors have no clue how to fight without guns? I don’t really understand how they have so many guns and bullets to begin with, but surely at this point more people than just Morgan would have fashioned melee weapons. Again, this just doesn’t make any sense.
So yeah. Not a terrible episode, not an episode I’d watch twice. They really need to thin the herd, and not just by killing the show’s best characters. Hell, my vote goes to Al’s stupid SWAT van. That thing has to go. It should never have been introduced in the first place.
What did you think of the episode? Let me know on Twitter or Facebook!
You can find me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or YouTube.
Also, sign up for my new newsletter diabolical.