- Senate hears witness testimony from law enforcement officers
- Joe and Jill Biden to travel to Texas on Friday
- DC police chief was ‘surprised’ by reluctance to deploy National Guard
- AOC criticizes Manchin over targeting of Biden’s nominees of color
- US coronavirus death toll passes 500,000
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
Donald Trump used to promise his supporters that they would be winning so much, they would get sick and tired of winning. But the former US president is now on a seemingly endless losing streak.
He lost the presidential election, lost more than 60 legal challenges to the result, lost his bid to overturn the electoral college, lost control of the Senate and lost an impeachment trial 43-57, though he was spared conviction on a technicality. On Monday, Trump lost yet again – with potentially far-reaching consequences.
Related: Ruling on Trump tax records could be costliest defeat of his losing streak
That’s it from me today. My west coast colleague, Maanvi Singh, will take over the blog for the next few hours.
Here’s where the day stands so far: